tenet n : a religious doctrine that is proclaimed as true without proof [syn: dogma]
Etymologytenet, from teneo
- Rhymes: -ɛnɪt
- An opinion, belief, or principle held to be true by someone or especially an organization.
An opinion, belief or principle
A tenet is any opinion, principle, dogma, or doctrine which a person or group believes or maintains, such as the tenets of Plato or of UNESCO.
Tenet may also refer to:
- TeNet Software Consultants, A company offering web solution services. Specialising in OpenSource packages and Content Management Systems.
- Tenet Healthcare, a hospital holding company
- Tenet people, an ethnic group in Sudan
- TeNeT Group, a dedicated Telecommunication and Computer Network Group, IIT-Madras
- George Tenet, Former CIA Director
- Tenet (metal band), a Canadian heavy metal band formed by two members of Strapping Young Lad
- TENET (funk band), a funk rock band from Hartford, Connecticut
- Tenet Insurance Company Limited, Singapore
- Tenet Consultants Limited, Warrington, UK. Control and Electrical Systems Design
a belief, article of faith, axiom, belief, canon, code, commandment, convention, conviction, credo, creed, dictum, doctrine, dogma, form, formula, general principle, golden rule, guideline, guiding principle, idea, ideology, imperative, law, maxim, mitzvah, moral, norm, opinion, ordinance, persuasion, position, precept, principium, principle, regulation, rubric, rule, settled principle, standard, teaching, view, viewpoint, working principle, working rule